Sunday, May 22, 2016

XC/Trail - 29er - Carbon Frame - Canyon Exceed CF 2016

I asked you to chosse betwin a half rigid and a full bike, I'll give you both ! This time my bike will be the super-light Canyon Exceed... A single frame at 870gr... How does it sound to you ?
 Introduction :

The Lux is light, but its a full suspension bike, which means extra weight. Do we really need a rear suspension ? Do we really need extra and useless grams ?? I guess Canyon started with that question to make the Exceed.
Take the Grand Canyon Cf SLX, which is allready pretty light, remove 300gr to it, and you'll have the Exceed. 870grams a frame, I think that it is one of the lightest Xc frame ever made...
it promises a quite good result, doesn't it ?
As his gran' brother the Lux, the exceed also have the IPU system to save your top tube from any damage in case you fall.


Suspension :

For this, I wanted a Fox 32 Step Coast fork, but this is not avalaible yet, same for the 2017 Rock Shox Sid, which makes that the lightest fork is the Sid XX World Cup 2016. I took it 29er and 100mm travel, with the Xloc hydrolic remote, and some red stickers :

Transmission :

Shifting is given to Sram XX1 goupset for a single reason : it has red on it, and I like red, especially on a red frame. 
Therefore you will find a XX1 11s cassete, mech, shifter and rear gear, with a Chris King PF30 ceramic bottom bracket. Cables will be Jagwire with of course red huosing, while my chain will be a Yaban SLA 211 Ti 11s chain. It is expennive as hell, but light and long duration... So we'll forgive it !
 




Drive Train :

This time, I had so much fun. Forget the stupid enve, or even the Lux's Easton which were pretty good. Time for REAL custom.
You might say that I am not really impartial as I am french, but I've been patriot, with some made in France circles : the Duke Lucky Jack 29er carbon rims. To fit them, I took some Duke MadMax hubs, which have the incredible amount of 75 tooth on its ratchet system : super fast response !! i also took some Sapim CX Ray spokes to match em all. result is something lighter than the Enve and the Easton : 1276 grams ! Around these beautifull circles, you will find a pair of Schwable Rocket Ron 29x2.10 tubeless rubbers.




Brakes :


Some rare stuff  for that one, with the Avid XX brakes. They are carbon made, designed for Cross Country and Match maker compatible, which means only one less clamp on your bars (less weight also :D), and I felt they were pretty good looking even if I am against Dot fluid.
Again, you'll find some Ashima Aro 08 160mm
disc rotors for their low weight and the red color.

















Other devices :

Again, I feel like this place is the best for saving weight, so lets begin.
A lot of Ritchey for that bike, with the Superlogic One Bolt carbon seatpost, the Superlogic Matte UD carbon handlebars and the WCS red grips.
Stem is from Enve components, while saddle is from San Marco (who knows this brand ? Its light and seems high end, but I never heared about it before) with the Concor Carbon FX.
As for every Canyon bikes, the headset is a Cane creek 40.
Finally, as I didnt want an other Egg beatter pedal, I took something a bit more exotic : Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti pedals.




















These pedals are pretty good looking, second time I use it and I still love it ! Eve if I'd rather a red finish instead of the Gold...











Conclusion : 

The final bike has a surprising 7.88 KG weight. I knew the frame was light, but I expected more.
I know you are going to say that it is super expensive, but (relatively) not : 6917€
it is 1 Kg lighter than my Santa Cruz and is 2700€ lower its price... Who said that buying a bike via internet is not really worth it ?

Preview : 


No comments:

Post a Comment