Sunday, April 24, 2016

Enduro - 650B - Carbon Frame - Canyon Strive CF 2016

A litle semi rigid or a small full suspension with 120mm of travel is ridiculous. You can't do anything with this right ? You rather a big Enduro bike, bike for men right ?? So lets go for my homemade enduro bike !
I think that we all know Canyon. This famous brand wich sells its bikes only from their Internet website, wch allows it to make some awesome bikes, for a ridiculous price. With time, Canyon prooved that low cost doesnt means low quality bikes. Want an evidence ? Fabien Barel rides a Strive !
Moreover, they are pretty good looking (expect some more Canyon bikes in the furture) and this is why I choosed to make my homemade Enduro bike with a Strive Frameset !
The Frameset comes with a Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair wich is the High end enduro rear shock from Rockshox, and Reverb Stealth seatpost and a Cane Creek 40 Headset. (Talking about Cane creek, chec out their headset finder : tell the brand and the model of your bike, it'll find the correct headset !)
The frame comes with that beautifull team color, wich is the one that the Canyon Factory Team uses on their bikes. Enough to feel like a world Champion during an EWS speciale !
To fit with the Monarch, I searched for the Queen of the enduro forks : the well known Pike, on its 160mm travel dual air version, with the Rockshox quick release axle, for an easier access if you need to repair a poncture on the trail.
On this bike, transmission took a lot of importance (and money : more than 1500€, the price of a second bike !) since it is an allmost full XTR DI2 groupset, with a 1x11 configuration. Allmost because it is all XTR (DI2) except for the chain, which is a KMC X11SL, so you have a quick release link (it seems that Shimano hates QR for chains...) and the chainring, which is a 32T Race Face Next SL, which is lighter than an XTR and have a really efficient technology to prenvent the chain to go away from the ring ! And to make sure that it will really stay in place, I added an E-Thirteen LG1+ chain guide, held in place thanks to the ISCG system on the frame.
For the bottom bracket bearings, I took some Hope Tech Bearings, because they are known to have a good quality. (Plus they are made in the UK, which means they are efficient and well sealed for wet conditions !!). I choosed the orange version, to match with the frame, which is also orange on this area.

Now time to play : on your mind, which wheels did i choose ?... Enve, you are right :D I know there are other brands (I initially wanted to take some DTs, but enve are lighter) but damn these wheels are so light and good looking ! This is why you will find the M70-thirty circles on this Strive, with the Chris King ISO hubs. For my tyres, I took the Maxxis Ardent 27.5x2.40 front and rear, tubeless of cours, but you should know know that I am not really familiar with tyres, and I am pretty sure that these are not the best choice for an Enduro bike...
To slow this beast going downhill at crazy speeds, I choosed the Magura (yes, again :D) MT7, for their 4-piston caliper system, which means more power. they were facing the Sram Guide Ultimate brakes, but since I am not a big fan of DOT fluid and that they were a big heavier, I rathered using the MT7. For my rotors, I took the Magura Storm SL with a diameter of 203mm in front, and 180mm rear, with the adaptators it involves. To finish with the brakes, I took the Galfer pro (ceramic) pads.
I wanted an other color for the stickers/calipers but it seems that magura doesnt really loves costomizations, and I only found the yellow version... But I guess we can change at least the stickers !

As allways, I'll end with the peripherics, with the Easton haven stem 35mm, 0°, a Renthal Fatbar carbon with 20mm of rise, a 31.8mm diameter and a large version : 780mm wide. For the Grips, I took the Ergon GA2 (blue) which looks comfortable for long rides.
Remains the saddle with the Ergon SME3 pro carbon, and the seatpost clamp (we dont really think about it, but imagine a ride without it^^) with the KCNC pro. Finally, I took the Crank Brothers Mallet 3 for the large plateform it has.

So there is my Enduro beast, ready for the worst of the Finale ligure stage !!




No comments:

Post a Comment