Thursday, April 21, 2016

XC/Trail - 29er - Carbon Frame - Santa Cruz Highball 29er 2016

Performance. For most of people in the XC world, performance rhymes with light. This is why i made a 100% performance hardtail.
I wanted to do a light bike, I have been satisfied. Clearly.
So I started with a Santa Cruz Highball hardtail on its CC version, the lightest version of the carbon frames made by Santa Cruz. How does it looks like ? I let you realize by yourself.
Allright, we have a base. As I said, I searched for the lightest components avalaible, or allmost at least.
Ok so let's start with the fork. Wanted to go with a Fox 32, since i enjoy how they look, but in fact and as you know, we want the lightest possible and it looks like this is not. After a few hour searching for the best one, I choosed the SID XX world cup from Rock Shox (the RS1 is uggly, and have a higher wheight), of course with 100mm of travel (but you need to know that the Santa is also ok with 120), 15mm axle without QR (unusefull wheight^^) with a Xlock remote for flat sections... I found it at 1485grams, if you know a lighter fork, tell me which one is it !
This wonderfull jowel has carbon steering tube, wich makes it much more rigid and light. To go around that sexy fork, i took a semi intergrated (ZS44 up, EC49 down) Cane creek Angleset headset bearings.
 For transmission, I choosed to stay with Sram with its XX1 one by 11 groupset wich seems to be lighter than the XTR...A gram is a gram, and we want to loose them as much as we can ! Therefore we have XX1 rear mech, cassette (10-42T) shifter and chain, a GXP bottom braket bearings and finally a Race FaceNext SL crankset with a 32T chainring.
 
Talking about Race Face, I also choosed some carbon components from them, such as a Next seatpost, a Turbine stem (6° rise, 70 millimeters long) and a Next handlebars 725mm wide, with 31.8mm diameter and a 19mm rise. To fit these handlebars, I took some super light ESI foam grips. Back behind the bike, I took a Fizik Gobi 00 wing flex saddle wich seems to be light and confortable (why could we ask else ?).
For the wheels, I stay with my lovely (and expensive ^^) Enve M50-fifty which are, again, the lightest i found, with the DT 180SL hubs.
To fit them, I chossed some Tubeless Taipan 29x2.10 tyres from Hutchinson.
Remain the brakes and the pedals (because yes, you need pedals if you want to finish a race). For the first point, I choosed a pair of Magura MT8 calipers and levers, with two Magura Storm SL 6 disc rotors, both on 160mm, maybe a 180mm on front depending of the situation... And to pinch these rotors, I took some Brake authority Ceramic pads.
For the second point, I took some Crank Brothers Egg Beater 11 wich are titanium clip pedals annouced at only 174g the two pedals.





Finally, we get a theoric price of  9 712 €, for ONLY 8.897 Kg. With that you should be able to beat your records, world champion !






No comments:

Post a Comment